Museums in Trogir2016-07-14T22:40:22+00:00

The city of Trogir museum

The museum is located near the northern city gate.
Address: Gradska vrata 4, 21220 Trogir
Telephone: +385 (0)21 881 406, +385 (0)21 796 046
E-mail: muzej-grada-trogira@st.t-com.hr

Visiting hours:

  • October-May: 9 – 14 h (closed on Saturday and Sunday)
  • June and September: 9 – 12 h, 17 – 20 h (closed on Sunday)
  • July and August: 9 – 13 h, 16.30 – 21.30 h (opened every day)

This town pearl is located in the palace Garagnin – Fanfogna, with characteristics of Romanesque and Baroque styles. In the museum you can see values such as prehistorical finds from the Trogir surroundings and the fragments of ceramics and glass from the Greek period, finds from the graves, which represent the Roman period (fragments of a helmet, money, amphoras, urns), stone reliefs and fragments discovered during archeological excavations near Trogir, the first printed city Statute from the 1708, which actually governed the city public life already in the 14th century, and the city seal rings, the original minutes of the City Council sessions from 1316 along with major documents on parchment, and the Venetian money used in the provinces of Dalmatia and Albania, the coats of arms of the Trogir nobles, and the fascinating wooden cock, the trophy of Alviz Ćipiko from the battle of Lepanto (1571), original furniture and household objects from the 17th and 18th centuries, portraits of the Trogir aristocracy, arms and armor from the battles with Turks and many other items.

The Municipal Stone Monuments Collection (Lapidarij) is placed at the ground section of the palace. It holds conserved archeological finds which clearly illustrate the earliest stages of the city development through preserved foundations of prehistorical, Greek and Roman and late ancient buildings.

The famous historical Garagnin-Fanfogna library with about 5,500 volumes is also part of the Museum. It contains incunabula and many parchments and archival material. The famous document “Pacta conventa” (Qualiter), particularly important for the history of the Croatian and Hungarian relations, has been found in this library.

The most complete collection of the famous Gothic painter Blaz Jurjev Trogiranin is placed in this museum. In 1978, the gallery of paintings by Cata Dujsin-Ribar was open in the city museum, displaying numerous works this painter had donated to her native city. Collection of religious art is set up in the abbey of St. John the Baptist (Pinacotheca).

“Kairos” collection

Kairos collection you can find in a small but exceptionally valuable collection placed in the Benedictine monastery within the church of St. Nicholas in Trogir.
Address: Gradska 2, 21220 Trogir
Telephone: +385 (0)21 881 631

Visiting hours:

  • For visitors it is open during summer
  • Monday to Saturday: 10 – 12 h and 16 – 18:30 h (closed on Sunday)

The most prominent is the marble relief of Kairos, the Greek god of the happy moment, probably from the 1st century B.C. It was discovered in 1928, and caused a sensation among scholars. An unknown artist made it after the manner of Lysippus in the 4th-3rd century BC. The Greek inscription from the 4th – 3rd century B.C., the oldest written monument in the area of Trogir, is built in the wall of the cloister of this monastery.

The “Kairos” collection also holds the stone relief of the Greek hero Achilles  found  during the excavations within the convent. One of the showpieces is a very valuable wooden  polychrome  polyptych in relief dating from the first half of the 15th century from the local school of Blaž Jurjev, the Gothic sculpture of “Madonna with Child” dating back to the early 15th century, a painted crucifix from the 14th century by the Paolo Veneziano school. The collection also includes the oldest painting in Trogir, the “Madonna with Child” from the late 13th century. The canvases by Nikola Grassi from 17th century are in gilt oval frames. The exhibited pieces of the convent objects include different carved boxes for valuables of Gothic style, and a painted wooden chest in which the richly ornamented church robe is displayed.

Cathedral’s treasure

Address: Trg Ivana Pavla II 5, 21220 Trogir
Telephone: +385 (0)21 884 777

Visiting hours:

  • For visitors it is open during summer
  • Monday – Sunday: 9 – 19 h

Located on the Square of Pope John Paul II. The collection of sacral works of art keeps the precious heritage from the churches of Trogir and Čiovo: relics, liturgical, episcopal robes, valuable items many of which are gifts of the Croatian rulers and kings, the works of Blaž Jurjev Trogiranin, Quirizio da Muran, Gentile Bellini etc. The remains of the hexagonal shape church of St. Mary from the 9th century are held in the closed yard. The church of St. Sebastian was built in the first half of the 15th century as the protection from the plague. Instead of the church tower there is the tower with a clock, and today it is the memory place for those who died in the Croatian war.

Collection of the Dominican monastery

The collection is placed in St. Dominic Monastery which is situated on Riva very close to the Kamerlengo citadel.

Address: Augustina Kažotića 1, 21220 Trogir
Telephone: +385 (0)21 881 968

Visiting hours:

  • For visitors it is open during summer
  • Monday – Saturday: 9 – 12 h and 15 – 18 h (closed on Sunday)

The monastery collection was assembled in the 1980s. The most valuable item of the collection is polyptych dedicated to St. Catherine, the work of Blaise George. The collection also includes relics of the Gothic from the 15th century, the work of local jewelers, a statue of the Virgin Mary in his arms carrying the dead body of Christ (15th century) and many other items.